Saturday, March 6, 2010

Coffee Filter Garland


I finally finished my secret craft and I am super excited about how it turned out. The preparation for this project was a little time consuming, but the production time was minimal and it was very inexpensive, since I had all the materials lying around the house.


First, I mixed up a big batch of tea. I used English Breakfast (yum!) but any tea should work. Then I dyed small coffee filters in batches of ten or so, letting them soak for 2 to 5 minutes, so that I could have a broader spectrum of shades.

I laid the dyed filters out to dry and in the morning had a beautiful pile of pinkish-brown circles.

Then, using a large darning needle, I threaded the filters onto ribbon in groups of 10 to 15, tying knots at either end of the stack. I scrunched the stacks to give them a floral quality and voila! A simple, pretty garland!

I had so many materials that I ended up making two garlands, so if you would like the shorter one (with cream ribbon,) let me know and I will send it to you. I can totally picture this on a mantel or in a little girl's room.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Affordable, Super cool, and they really look beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! I'm linking you to all my crafty friends.

    ReplyDelete